Sunday, November 21, 2021

Walking in Thankfulness

November 21, 2021
St. John’s United Church of Christ, Union, Illinois

Psalm 100; Matthew 6:25-34[1]

One of the things we are really good at, especially Americans, is expressing our independence. It is, after all, the foundation of our nation, and we celebrate Independence Day every July 4th. We celebrate when a child is potty trained, when they go off to their first day of school, their first job, and their first home. The automobile is one of the most powerful symbols of independence, giving us the feeling that we can go anywhere, do anything! We love to cheer on a record-breaking athlete. And we love stories of people who go it alone, surmount all the odds, and come out on top.

So, when we hear the words of this Psalm, as cheerful and joyous as they are, we have a hard time relating to being called sheep. “We are God’s people, and the sheep of God’s pasture.” Sheep are kind of dumb. They’d walk off the edge of a cliff if no one stopped them. They’re scared by the smallest thing, and mostly stand around making “Baa, baa” noises. Sheep are dependent, not independent. “I’m no sheep,” we tell ourselves.

But, some of the time, we need to be more sheep-like. We need to acknowledge our dependence. We need to recognize how we depend on our families and neighbors all the time. We need to check in with the shepherd. We need to rest in green pastures and drink from still waters. There’s a time and a place for the solo act. But there’s also a time to remember that “It is God who made us, and to God we belong; we are God’s people, and the sheep of God’s pasture.” We don’t stay in the sheep-fold forever. We’re not trapped, deprived of our freedoms. We only gather here to worship for an hour a week. But it is an hour that we need, deep within our souls.

Thanksgiving Day is coming. Our whole nation will stop, for a day, our march toward individual achievement, and acknowledge our dependence. We will remember the spirit of the Pilgrims, who set aside a day to be thankful for God’s support. Those early settlers made seven times more graves than huts. They could not account for their survival as anything other than divine grace. They were dependent—and proud of it—dependent on God, on one another, and on the kindness of their neighbors.

One of the reasons we struggle to recognize our dependence is that too often we get let down. We don’t feel like we can rely on others. People are fallible, fickle, and forgetful. We get wrapped up in our own thoughts and feelings and fail to notice what is going on with the people around us. We’re too rushed to stop and notice how we’re affecting those around us. We don’t live up to our promises. And when people fail us, fail to live up to what we expect of them, we fall back on independent thinking. You can’t trust anyone. If you want something done, better do it yourself.

I do this all the time. I’d almost rather just do the things myself than ask for help. I’d rather just get the lawn mowed now than teach my kids how to do it, and accept that it won’t get finished as quickly or as well. I’d rather drive around the block than admit I’m lost or that I missed a turn and need help getting back on track. And I get so angry with myself when I let someone else down.

I can’t do it all by myself. I need others to help me. I depend on others to help me, just as they depend on me. It helps to say to myself, I need help with this. And it helps to know that others want to help me. It feels good to help other people. Who am I do deprive someone else of the opportunity to be helpful? If I focus too much on my independence, I neglect those who depend on me. Instead, I must remember that I am dependent on others, and try to show them that I appreciate what they do for me. I could stand to be more thankful.

There are some things that are reliable, and trustworthy. I know that I can rely on God to care, to notice, and to help me when I need it. God clothes the grass of the field; how much more will God care for me? God feeds the birds of the air; am I not of more value than they? I am precious, crafted in God’s image, loved as a parent loves a child. So are you; and, if God loves you, you can depend on God.

As we gather around our tables this Thursday, I hope that we will all be able to stop for a moment and give thanks that we are dependent beings. We are dependent on our families and friends. We are dependent on our neighbors. We are dependent on our soldiers, our healthcare professionals, our police, fire-fighters, and first-responders. We are dependent on people we may never see who keep the electricity on, the water flowing, the garbage taken away, the streets paved, and the shelved stocked. We are dependent on God for life, love, hope, strength, and all that we need.

I hope that we won’t stop giving thanks simply because Thanksgiving is over and Black Friday has come. I challenge you to acknowledge more often just how dependent you are, and to give thanks for all those on whom you can depend. Walk in thankfulness. Breathe in gratitude. Bless those around you for all that they do to support you, whether you think you need it or not.  Amen.



[1] The scripture quotations contained herein are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright © 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.  Used by permission.  All rights reserved.  Edited for inclusive language.

No comments:

Post a Comment