Sunday, March 22, 2020

Seeing Things


March 22, 2020
St. John’s United Church of Christ, Union, Illinois

John 9:1-41, selected

My friends, we are living through a strange and difficult time. We are watching as things break down. Friendships and family relationships are broken over disagreements. Marriage and family look different than we remember. Institutions and government structures meant to support us are failing. Leaders elected to serve us are instead serving their own interests and taking what they can for themselves. People who fear not having enough are emptying the shelves of grocery stores.

We are isolated from one another. I’m not just talking about social-distancing or stay-at-home orders. We share fewer common experiences. While we may be watching more people through social media, we really only scratch the surface of what others are experiencing. I’m watching old NCIS episodes, my friends are watching Outlander, and I never did watch (or read) Game of Thrones. I mostly read the news on my phone or computer, reading short snippets from a variety of sources, while others may only watch one network on TV.

We’re probably less happy, too. Not just because of our current circumstances. Even introverts like me need connection and interaction with family, friends, church, and community. It can be tempting to look to the past, to feel nostalgia for what was. People were friendlier, more supportive, happier. At least that’s what I remember. Am I selectively remembering, leaving out the times when I was lonely, angry, mistreated? Do I forget when I left someone else behind, when I shouted at someone who didn’t deserve it, when I blamed someone else for my problems?

We forget, in our nostalgia, that even if things were great for us back then, they weren’t great for everyone. We can look through our history, if we dare, for how our society and others have brought great suffering and hardship to others, and even our own ancestors. And we can look to our scriptures, too, seeing things that have not really changed much.
The man born blind has been failed by his community, his family, and his religious leaders. 

The first thing the disciples ask when they see him is “Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?”[1] We might think we’ve evolved past thinking that blindness is a result of someone’s sin, but have we really? I’ve heard religious leaders in our own time blame disease, natural disasters, and even poverty on what they perceive to be the sins of others. The Pharisees, jealous of their religious power, argue that Jesus can’t have healed him. He must be lying, or Jesus must be using some evil power.

His family distances themselves from him, fearing that they will be shunned by the community. When they are asked about him, they say they don’t know how it is that he can see. “He is of age, ask him.”[2] The community fails to accept what has happened; they don’t recognize this man who used to sit and beg. It can’t be the same person, the blind beggar. We must be seeing things.

Long ago, and right now, we struggle to see beyond our preconceptions, our own view of the world. When faced with someone else’s experience of life that is different from our own, we get stuck. We stop listening. It is uncomfortable to think about the difficulties of another, and we start thinking “Well, if it was me, I would…” We choose to be blind to the experiences of others. We choose to be isolated, holding on to a worldview that makes us comfortable, even if it no longer matches with the reality we experience.

What is it like to be the man born blind? Can we really imagine what it would be like to live in a different reality? In a world structured around sighted people, to be blind means adapting and coping with a world filled with obstacles. It means constantly teaching others how to interact with us, how to relate to a world they don’t understand. And unless Jesus happens to be walking by, it means living in a world that cannot be changed, a world that is radically different from most others.

The experience of living in a different world is not limited to blindness. A black person in America lives in a different reality than a white person. Neither reality is right or wrong, good or bad, but they are different. As a white person, I can be blind to the many obstacles that others face, because they don’t appear in my world. It takes effort, listening and learning and looking for the things I don’t see because I don’t live in the same reality as a black person.

As a man, I don’t live in the same world, and face the same obstacles, as a woman. As a straight, cis-gender person, I perceive love and relationships differently that a person who is LGBTQ. As a person who is making enough money to get by, but struggling to pay down my debts, I live in a different world than people who buy and sell businesses, or who face eviction because the paychecks stopped coming. I climbed the stairs to stand at this lectern, but there are others I know who will never see this view.

The man born blind was transformed. He was healed, and his world changed. And we can celebrate that and be grateful for God’s healing power. But transformation happened in that community also. As the man began to tell the truth of his experience, over and over to the crowds, the Pharisees, and even his own family, slowly they began to understand.

They resisted, of course, because it is difficult and uncomfortable to understand a different world. It takes real effort to listen to the different experience of another and not overlay our own experience. To imagine what life is like for a blind man, a black person, a woman, a gay or transgender person, a differently-abled person, a different person, is hard. But it is possible. Jesus said, “I came into this world for judgment so that those who do not see may see, and those who do see may become blind.”[3] Becoming blind, to not see for the first time, opens up a world that we never knew before. To enter the different world, the life experience of another, and seek to truly understand, is part of the gift of grace and healing that Jesus offered to that community, and that Jesus offers to us.

I have always had friends who were different. The longer I live the more different worlds I encounter. I have not always chosen to understand their worlds, to accept that their world is not bad or wrong. But I have been transformed. I have come to understand my own blindness, and, even when it is painful, to see things in the different worlds of others.

I can’t tell you how or why it happened. All I can tell you is that I was blind and now I see. Before, I saw things one way, now I see differently. I am seeing things in a new way. Before, I believed the world worked in a specific way, that my world was the only one. Now I understand things differently. Now I am seeing things I didn’t see before. And I believe it was Jesus who put mud on my eyes so that I may see. I believe that Jesus is the light of the world, and with that light I have received my sight.


[1] John 9:2. The scripture quotations contained herein are from the New Revised Standard Version Bible, copyright © 1989 by the Division of Christian Education of the National Council of the Churches of Christ in the U.S.A.  Used by permission.  All rights reserved.
[2] John 9:23.
[3] John 9:39.

No comments:

Post a Comment